Bangkok Port was constructed in 1938 with the purpose to enable large sea-going ships to transport goods directly to Bangkok. The work was interrupted during the second world war and completed after the war ended.
In 1951, the government obtained a loan from the World Bank for dredging the sand bar, deepening the river course to the Bangkok Port and purchasing loading / unloading equipment. Also in that year, under the Port Authority Act B.E. 2494 (1951) , The Port Authority of Thailand was established as an autonomous body under the general supervision of the Ministry of Transport and Communications.